Senior Project Manager
San Francisco/Bay Area Office
M.S., Environmental Health Sciences/Industrial Hygiene, Hunter College of the City University of New York, 1987
B.S., Geology, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 1978
CERTIFICATIONS AND REGISTRATIONS
- American Board of Industrial Hygiene
- Certified in Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene (CIH) #4362CP
Mr. Baril has over 40 years of experience in the field of environmental health, industrial hygiene, and safety management. He has provided public and private sector organizations with comprehensive industrial hygiene and safety services such as OSHA compliance audits, safety management evaluation, hazardous substance exposure analysis, job hazard analysis, accident investigation and analysis, site remediation, and management and employee training. During his career, he has provided industrial hygiene and safety services to a diverse array of industries and employers that include healthcare, chemical plants, foundries, construction, power plants, heavy and light manufacturers, research laboratories, dry docks, waste water treatment plants, and commercial and residential real estate, to name a few. In addition to working in the United States, he has provided industrial hygiene services in Argentina and Brazil.
Mr. Baril spent two years providing full time project management at “Ground Zero” directing environmental contaminant assessments, stabilization, and remediation of a large office building, adversely impacted by the destruction of the World Trade Center. This project incorporated multiple aspects within the industrial hygiene and safety spectrum, including: hazard assessments, hazard containment and isolation, mold removal, asbestos abatement, medical surveillance of site workers, respiratory protection, employee health and safety, etc.
Mr. Baril has developed and conducted various training programs and seminars for organizations such as the Business Council of New York State, Greater New York Safety Council, American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE), Hospital Association of New York State (HANYS) and many others. Mr. Baril has conducted hundreds of lectures and training programs during his career. He has lectured extensively on such topics as asbestos, bloodborne pathogens, confined space entry, emergency response, fundamentals of industrial hygiene, hazard communication, health hazards in construction, hearing conservation and noise, indoor environmental quality, laboratory safety, lead and lead-based paint hazards, lock-out/tag-out, mold and moisture intrusion, office ergonomics, personal protective equipment strengths and limitations, respiratory protection, silica, tuberculosis, and ventilation.
For a large portion of his career, Mr. Baril has specialized in performing indoor environmental quality evaluations and mold and moisture intrusion investigations in hospital and commercial real estate settings. Gerard has conducted hundreds of indoor environmental quality investigations involving mold contamination, soil vapor intrusion, and contaminant infiltration. Subsequent to the performance of these evaluations, he has provided contractors with site-specific remediation work scopes and post-mold/water damage/water intrusion remediation criteria that must be met in order to permit re-occupancy and/or reconstruction of impacted occupancies
Mr. Baril also provides industrial hygiene litigation support services in the form of expert witness testimony, critical reviews, and technical oversight. Expert witness services have been provided for plaintiffs and defendants in mold/moisture intrusion, asbestos, silica, indoor environmental quality, perchloroethylene, and lead-based paint cases.
Mr. Baril has been actively involved in professional associations throughout his career, providing leadership on national committees and at local and regional levels to help shape policy and provide guidance on regulatory and emerging issues in the industrial hygiene and safety field.
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS & HONORS
- American Industrial Hygiene Association (AIHA)
- Member: 1985 – Present
- Membership Committee Chairman: 2004 – 2006
- Committee Member: Health Care Working Group, 2015 – 2017
- Corresponding Committee Member: Indoor Environmental Quality, 2008 – Present
- Metropolitan New York Local Section
- President, 1994-1995
- Member, 1985 – 2016
- Northern California Section
- Treasurer, 2017 – Present
- Member, 2016 – Present
- American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH)
- Member: 1989 – Present
- American Society of Safety Engineers
- Member: 1985 – 2010
- American Society for Healthcare Engineering (ASHE)
- Safety & Security Management Certificate Program Faculty Member: 1996-2001
- Safety & Security Management Committee Member: 1998-2001
- Environmental Management Committee Member: 1997
- BNA and Briefings on Hospital Safety’s Healthcare Facilities Guide
- Advisory Board Member: 1995 – 2002
- International Society of Indoor Air Quality and Climate
- Member: 2014 – Present
- Baril, G. , Respiratory Protection Compliance Plan, Lovell Safety Management, 1995
- Baril, G., Silica Exposure Control Plan, Lovell Safety Management, 1994
- Baril, G., Lead In Construction Compliance Manual, Lovell Safety Management, 1993
- Helmstadt, W. and Baril, G., Confined Space Entry Compliance Plan, Lovell Safety Management, 1992
- Baril, G., Bloodborne Pathogens Compliance Manual, Lovell Safety Management, 1991
- Andre, R. and Baril, G., Hazard Communication Compliance Manual with Supervisors Guide, Lovell Safety Management, 1990
- Baril, G., Ethylene Oxide Compliance Manual, Lovell Safety Management, 1989
- Andre, R. and Baril, G., Hazard Communication Compliance Manual, Lovell Safety Management, 1989
- ACGIH Webinar: Utilization pf the TLV and BEI Book, 2020
- AIHA webinar: Ventilation, Surface Disinfection and PPE Considerations for the IP and IH, 2020.
- Fentanyl and High Potency Drugs Operational Safety (PDC), AIHCe Minneapolis, MN, 2019.
- Surface Sampling – Issues, Methods, and Strategy for Metals, Metalloids, Organics, and Biologicals (PDC), AIHCe Minneapolis, MN, 2019.
- Legal Cannabis – A Blunt Discussion of Health & Safety Issues in the Emerging Cannabis Industry and the Impact of Legal Adult Usage in the Workplace, AIHA-NCS 2019.
- Comparative Ethics (PDC), AIHCe Philadelphia, PA 2018.
- Legal Issues and Exposures in Your IH Practice (PDC), AIHCe Philadelphia, PA, 2018.
- Smart Devices and the EHAS Professional (PDC), AIHCe Philadelphia, PA , 2018.
- An IH Introduction to Environmental Rules & Regulations (PDC), AIHCe Seattle, WA, 2017.
- Risk Assessment Boot Camp: Asbestos, Silica, Metals, and Organic Compounds, AIHCe Seattle, WA,
- Legionella and Other Waterborne Pathogens: Recognition, Evaluation, and Control (PDC), AIHCe Baltimore, MD, 2016.
- Registry Preparation: Theory and Application of 4-Gas/PID Sensor (PDC), AIHCe Salt Lake City, UT, 2015.
- Mold and Health Effects – EMLab P&K Webinar, 2015.
- Sewage Contamination – EMLab P&K Webinar, 2015.
- ASHRAE 188-2015 & AIHA Legionella 15-781 – Aerobiology Laboratories Webinar, 2015.
- New NY Mold Law and Legionella Regulations, Metro NY AIHA, New York, NY, 2015.
- Tracing Air in Buildings (PDC), AIHCe San Antonio, TX, 2014.
- Introduction to Bacteriology – EMLab P&K Webinar, 2014.
- Strategies for Mold Investigations and Sampling – EMLab P&K Webinar, 2014.
- Fungal Data Interpretation – EMLab P&K Webinar, 2014.
- Application of Industrial Hygiene and Safety in Emerging Economies/New Analytical Mandates for Asbestos/Vermiculite, Metro NY AIHA, New York, NY, 2014.
- Ethical Fitness, Metro NY AIHA, New York, NY, 2014.
- Legally Defensible Mold Investigation Strategies, Metro NY AIHA, New York, NY 2014.
- Introduction to EHS for the Nanotechnology Industry (PDC), AIHCe Montreal, QB, Canada, 2013.
- Disinfection for Infection Prevention – Industrial Hygiene Implications (PDC), AIHCe Montreal, QB, Canada, 2013.
- Mold Recognition-Effective Strategies and Results (PDC), AIHCe Indianapolis, IN, 2012.
- Vapor Intrusion, Investigation, and Mitigation (PDC), AIHCe Portland, OR, 2011.
- Examining Professional Ethics and Industrial Hygiene, AIHA TeleWeb Virtual Seminar, 2011.
- Anticipation Recognition Evaluation and Control of Welding, (PDC), AIHCe Denver, CO, 2010.
- Environmental Law and Regulations for Industrial Hygienists (PDC), AIHCe Denver, CO, 2010.
- Improving an Effective Safety & Health Inspection Program, MetroNY AIHA, New York, NY 2010.
- Introduction to Risk Assessment for the Industrial Hygienist, (PDC), AIHCe Toronto, ON, Canada, 2009.
- Community Noise (PDC), AIHCe Toronto, ON, Canada, 2009.
- Intensive Short Course: Hearing Protection and Conservation, MetroNY AIHA, New York, NY 2009.
- What Ergonomics means to the Safety Professionals. MetroNY AIHA, New York, NY 2009.
- Industrial Hygienists as Experts in Trials and Depositions (PDC), AIHCe Minneapolis, MN, 2008.
- Tools of the Trade – Vapor Intrusion Investigation, PDC, AIHCe, Minneapolis, MN, 2008
- Global Harmonized Systems, MetroNY AIHA, 2008.
- Industrial Hygiene In the Dominican Republic, MetroNY AIHA, New York, NY, 2007.
- Air Sampling for Mold: A Litigation Perspective( PDC), AIHCe Anaheim, CA, 2005.
- The Wide World of Lead: Lead-Based Paint – AIHCe, Minnesota, MN, 2019.
- Establishing Health and Safety Programs for Non- emergency Response Workers in a Building Directly Impacted by the Destruction of the World Trade Center – AIHCe, Portland, OR, 2011.
- Asbestos Awareness Training – New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), New York, NY, 2005.
- PESTS: Rats, Roaches and other Disgusting Nuisances – New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), New York, NY, 2005.
- Local Law # 7 – Carbon Monoxide Detectors In Buildings – New York City Department of Housing Preservation and Development (HPD), New York, NY, 2004.
- Local Law # 1 – New York City Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Act of 2003 – American Indoor Air Quality Association, New York, NY – 2004.
- Setting Cleanup Standards for the Response and Remediation of the Interior of Buildings in the Direct Proximity of the WTC Collapse – AIHCe, San Diego, CA, 2002.
- Introduction to Occupational Health – ASHE, Arlington, VA, 2001.
- Anesthetic Gas Exposures in Operating Rooms and Recovery Rooms – ASHE, Seattle, WA 2000.
- Bloodborne Pathogens – Aaron Diamond AIDS Research Center, New York, NY, 2001.
- Managing Hazardous Chemical Agents in Healthcare – ASHE, Seattle, WA, 2000.
- Indoor Air Quality: A Case Study – ASHE, Seattle, WA, 2000.
- Hazard Communication – Right to Know – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY ,2000.
- Ergonomic Programs: A Business Necessity – Business Council of New York State, Multiple locations, 2000.
- Occupational Health Hazards in the Construction Industry – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY, 1999.
- Revised Respiratory Protection Standards –ASHE, Philadelphia, PA, 1999.
- Indoor Air Quality – Investigation and Control – ASHE, Philadelphia, PA, 1999.
- Occupational Health Hazards in the Construction Industry – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY, 1998.
- Introduction to Indoor Air Quality – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY, 1998.
- Introduction to Industrial Hygiene – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY, 1998.
- Introduction to Occupational Health – ASHE, Denver, CO, 1998.
- Office Ergonomic/Back Injury Preventions – Greater New York Safety Council, New York, NY, 1997
- Introduction to Industrial Hygiene – ASHE, San Antonio, TX, 1997.
- Internet Applications for Safety Professionals – Metro New York Chapter American Society of Safety Engineers, New York, NY, 1997.
- Fundamentals of Industrial Hygiene – Business Council of New York State, Multiple locations, 1996.
- Healthcare in the 90s – Lovell Safety Management, Multiple locations in New York State, 1995.
- Tuberculosis – ASHE, Las Vegas, NV, 1995.
- Hazard Communication/Personal Protective Equipment – Business Council of New York State, Multiple locations, 1995.
- Chemical Hazards in Healthcare – ASHE, Washington, DC, 1994.
- What to Do When OSHA Knocks – Business Council of New York State, Multiple locations, 1994.
- Health Hazards in Construction – Building Industry Employers of New York, Multiple locations, 1994.
- Lock-out/Tag-out – ASHE, Lake Buena Vista, FL, 1994.
- Hazard Communication – Council on Cultural Preservation, Washington, DC, 1994.
- Reproductive Hazards – ASHE, Philadelphia, PA, 1993.
- Tuberculosis – ASSE New Jersey Local Section, 1992.